your covering letter
the covering letter
The indispensable accompaniment to the curriculum vitae is the covering letter. Even if you are sending your CV in by email, you can’t get out of writing this.
A covering letter consists of short paragraphs, takes up no more than one side of A4 and naturally should have no spelling mistakes or other annoying features.
- Do not use a standard letter, but make your letter tie in with the job for which you are applying.
- Address the letter to a person: Dear Mr or Mrs X.
- Grab the attention with a strong opening sentence.
- Keep your style fluent and active.
In terms of content, try to answer two questions:
- Why should they take you on? Be positive about your personal plus points, but don’t give everything away. Make the reader curious so that he or she will invite you to a personal interview.
- Why do you want to join this company? Why would you in particular fit in well with this organisation?
Close your letter with a reference to a personal interview, and finish with “Yours sincerely”, followed by your name.